A echocardiogram test is a type of ultrasound used to look at how the heart is functioning. It’s a painless and non-invasive echo test procedure that lets an NYC cardiologist nearby such as Dr. Steven Reisman, see the anatomy, structure and function of all four chambers and valves of the heart, and is performed by a trained sonographer. An echocardiogram takes “moving pictures” of the heart with sound waves. The ultrasound and electrocardiography (ECG) signals are recorded digitally to be reviewed by the Cardiologist.
I have known Dr. Reisman for many years. My first experience with him was through a friend’s referral. A family situation came along where we needed a cardiologist, a great one. I am very thankful that I was referred to Dr. Reisman. He is a true leader in his field; very caring for his patients and he will go out of his way to help anyone. Dr. Reisman is very approachable and friendly. His office staffs are very friendly. After attending to my family situation I too was in need of a cardiologist for stress testing – I have been to the Wall Street & Upper East Side location – one close to work and one close to home. Again, my experience was 100% positive. If you are looking for a cardiologist don’t look any further. ~ Google
An echocardiogram is performed by a highly skilled cardiac technician or cardiology specialist and usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes. The patient lies on an exam table and an ultrasound probe is placed on the chest and two-dimensional pictures produced. This cardiac test can indicate heart chamber or valve abnormalities. Your local NYC cardiologist Dr. Reisman later reports on the findings of the heart echo test and the results are usually available within two days.
Why is a Echocardiogram performed? An echocardiogram is performed to evaluate the valves and chambers of the heart in a non-invasive way. The echocardiogram allows doctors to diagnose, evaluate, and monitor:
- Abnormal heart valves
- Any structural or functional defects of the heart
- Atrial fibrillation
- Congenital heart disease
- Damage to the heart muscle in patients who have had heart attacks
- Heart murmurs
- Infection in the sac around the heart (pericarditis)
- Infection on or around the heart valves (infectious endocarditis)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- The heart’s pumping ability
- The pumping function of the heart for people with heart failure
- The source of a blood clot after a stroke or TIA
- The structure, thickness and movement of the heart valves
- The size of the chambers of the heart, which can change with conditions such as hypertension, heart damage with a myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure.
If you experience any cardiovascular signs or symptoms, come visit our cardiology office in all of the nearby NYC locations including Downtown, Midtown and Upper East Side and meet Dr. Steven Reisman. He is an expert echocardiogram specialist who can provide echocardiography testing and analysis.
If you have or suspect or known cardiac diseases, including atrial fibrillation, heart failure and valvular heart disease
What can the results of the Echocardiogram show?
- The size and shape of your heart
- How well your heart is working overall (that is how well it contracts and how well it relaxes)
- If a wall or section of heart muscle is weak and not working correctly
- If you have problems with your heart’s valves
- If you have a blood clot or fluid around your heart
How Exactly Does An Echocardiogram Work?
Sound waves are sent by the transducer towards the heart. Sound waves bounce back like an echo, similar to a sonar from a submarine. The echoes of the heart are then gathered by the transducer. The echoes are processed on a computer and a 2D image is produced on a screen. Through the transducer, the echocardiogram allows vital areas of the heart to be examined.
Dr. Reisman and a leading team of the top cardiologist specialists perform an Echocardiogram cardiac test and indicate heart chamber or valve abnormalities in all of the locations in New York CIty.
If you have any questions for the best in class NYC cardiologist or would like to schedule a consultation or appointment please feel free to contact a leading echocardiogram specialist Dr. Steven Reisman of the New York Cardiac Diagnostic Center and indicate which NYC office (Upper East Side, Midtown Manhattan, or Wall Street / Financial District) you would like to see the cardiologist for a heart echo test and a cardiac consultation.